There is something so delightful about a simple, yet decadent dessert. These Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing definitely fall into that category!
I always believe desserts are all about taste (of course) and adding a personal touch. I also believe in simplicity so I started this recipe with my favorite red velvet cupcake mix. It’s hard to argue with taste, even if it comes out of a pre-made box.
This wonderful cream cheese icing recipe is like putting the icing on the cake, literally. It’s a wonderful flavor and so easy to make. It’s perfect for a cupcake like this one.
I used cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and heavy whipping cream. It’s that simple! I made this in my stand mixer because it takes time to create the thickness you want in an icing. But it’s worth the wait.
I also really love putting fruit on top of my cake or cupcakes. And I have really come to love the combination of chocolate and blueberries. I added blueberries to the top of this treat becasue I was also looking for a red, white and blue combination for summer. You can also add strawberries, blackberries or raspberries for something a little different.
Cream Cheese Icing
Yield 24 Cupcakes
This homemade Cream Cheese Icing is the perfect topping to any cake or cupcake and super easy to make.
- 8 oz. pkg Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- In a kitchen stand mixer, beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar together
- While it’s mixing, add the vanilla
- Slowly add the heavy cream until it starts to thicken up
- You will start to see peaks, then you’ll know it’s done
- Add it to an icing bag and decorate your cupcakes
Thanks to Your Cup of Cake for the inspiration for this recipe!