When it comes to summer and food, I like to keep it simple. I especially enjoy making fresh, healthy dishes like this Classic Cucumber Tomato Salad that don’t take very long to make and don’t heat up your kitchen.
This salad is a classic! I love that it’s made with all the ingredients you would already have in your home or garden. This also makes a great side salad for a barbeque, picnic or dinner for the family.
And did I mention it’s so easy!
I used one cucumber, grape and tomatoes on the vine (whatever I had in the house) and red onion. The cucumber needs to be sliced very thin. I cut half of the cucumber with the seeds, the other half I removed the seeds and sliced what was left.
The onions need to be sliced thin and long too. I love the texture and taste of the red onion, especially cut in bigger slices. The tomatoes are sliced in half lengthwise.
To make the dressing I used olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, Dill and salt & pepper.
It’s really as simple as that.
There are other ways to make the dressing. Replace the honey with maple syrup or a little sugar. The Dill adds a wonderful flavor but if you have basil, you can use that instead. It’s really whatever you have access to!
Classic Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 1 large Cucumber cut into thin slices
- 2 cups Grape or Tomatoes on the Vine cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 Red Onion cut into thin long slices
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh Dill
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cucumbers, tomatoes and onions
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, fresh Dill and add pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper
- Pour over salad and mix together
This salad is so refreshing and perfect for a summer bbq or picnic. If taking on a picnic, wait to mix in the dressing until you are about to eat it.