Happy New Year everyone! It’s going to be a great 2016!
If you are following tradition, you are probably having these today. Black-eyed peas are suppose to give you good luck! But because I don’t love the taste of black-eyed peas by itself, I decided to add my family’s favorite ingredient to this dish — bacon!
This Black-eyed Peas with Bacon recipe is the best way to spice up your New Year’s tradition! Honestly it doesn’t matter if you make these today or over the weekend — you’ll still have good luck all year!
I started with a can of black-eyed peas. You can also use a bag of dry black-eyed peas. Make sure you soak these in water for at least 1 hour to soften them before combining the rest of the ingredients.
I also pre-made my bacon and chopped it up before adding to the beans.
In a separate skillet, add your onions to the melted butter. Cook until the onions are soft. Then add your garlic and thyme for additional flavor.
Mix this garlic onion mixture into the peas and add a cup of water to the dutch oven. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until all the flavors are incorporated.
Serve your Black-Eyed Peas with Bacon while its still warm. Enjoy!
Black-Eyed Peas with Bacon
- 1 can of Black-eyed peas 15 oz or bag of dry Black-eyed peas
- 4 slices of Bacon cooked
- 1 tablespoon Butter melted
- 1/2 medium Onion chopped
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Dry Thyme
- Empty can of Black-eyed peas into dutch oven
- Add the cooked chopped bacon
- In separate skillet, melt the tablespoon of butter
- Add the chopped onions and cook until soft
- Add the minced garlic and thyme and cook for another minute
- Add the garlic onion mixture to the bacon and Black-eyed peas
- Add an additional cup of water
- Cook on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes to incorporate the flavors
- Serve hot
You only need a small taste of Black-eyed peas to enjoy this tradition. This makes enough for the entire family to earn their good luck.