It’s casserole season and with that comes a little experimenting in the kitchen. If you enjoy a casserole, and let’s face it who doesn’t, then you are probably looking for new ways to bring food together to make one-big meal! I think that is what people like most about them. It’s all your favorite foods in one dish. This Bacon & Egg Casserole combines all of our favorite breakfast foods. You have bacon and eggs plus hash browns, cheese, onions and a few added surprises for a great morning kick. As with every casserole, there are a few ingredients that you need to cook ahead of time. Lets face it, onions are much better when they are cooked. So you will need to make the bacon ahead of time. You will put that into a pan along with the onions, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes (told you I had a surprise ingredient). This cooks over a medium heat for about 5 minutes.
In a separate bowl you will beat your eggs and whisk in the milk. This is where an assistant comes in handy. Kids love to break the eggs, so put them to work breaking and whisking! You will add salt and pepper to the mixture. Then stir in the frozen hash brown potatoes, cheese, the cooked bacon and veggie mixture. NOTE: I didn’t cook the hash browns ahead of time but I wish that I had. It would have tasted better if the hash browns had a little crispiness to them. I would suggest cooking them in a separate pan before mixing them into the casserole.
The casserole will take about 40 minutes in your oven set at 350 degrees. The time will really depend on how you like your eggs. This can be served with a little fruit or salad and you have a complete meal!
There are many ways to make this an easier meal for the family. After you pour the uncooked casserole into the dish, you can put it in the refrigerator for about 24 hours, covered. Then all you have to do is put it in the over to cook the next morning.
If you prefer fresh potatoes rather than frozen, you can substitute with three medium potatoes. You can either cook the potatoes ahead of time in the oven until they are barely tender, or place in microwave for 8-10 minutes on high. You will still need to dice the potatoes before putting it into the casserole.
Bacon & Egg Casserole!
- 8 large Eggs
- 4 slices of Bacon cooked, cut into 1/2 inch wide slices
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 3 cups frozen diced Potatoes
- 1 large Yellow Onion diced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/3 cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup 2% Milk
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
- Pre-Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Using a baking spray, grease a 13x9" baking dish
- Over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp
- Remove bacon and cut into 1/2 inch wide pieces
- In same pan, cook onion, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and 1 teaspoon of salt over medium heat for 5 minutes and let cool
- In separate bowl, beat 8 eggs and whisk in the milk
- Add remaining salt and cracked black pepper
- Stir in cheese, frozen hash brown potatoes, bacon and veggies
- Pour mixture into baking pan (at this point you can cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours)
- Bake for 40 minutes or until eggs are done to your liking
- Serve immediately
This recipe was adapted from one I found on The Kitchn but can be modified with whatever you like to put into a casserole. It works great for breakfast, brunch or even dinner!