Do you crave mashed potatoes? I do — so why not add a little twist to your mashed potatoes with this Baked Cheesy Mashed Potatoes recipe!
It’s made with lots of gooey cheese , tons of butter, milk and a secret ingredient! Of course, this isn’t a dish for those counting calories but sometimes it’s a good idea to put away the calorie counter and indulge!
And this dish is worth it!
This is really the cheesiest mashed potatoes you will ever eat.
The first thing you need to do is boil your potatoes. Cut these into 1-inch pieces before they go into the water, this will help them cook faster. In the meantime, melt your butter and measure out your milk. This will get added to the softened potatoes before you mash them with a hand mixer.
Once the potatoes are mashed, you need to grease a baking dish with butter. Before you put the potatoes in the baking dish, mix in the shredded mozzarella cheese and 3/4 the shredded parmesan cheese.
Add the mashed potatoes to your baking dish. Mix the rest of the parmesan cheese with the bread crumbs and put on top of the potatoes.
This is now perfectly mashed with melted cheese in the center. It’s really-melt-in-your mouth good!
Eat this by itself in a bowl like this or serve hot with beef, chicken or turkey.
- 4 pounds Russet Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cup grated Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry Bread Crumbs
- 1 stick Butter, melted
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 tablespoon butter (for greasing baking dish)
- Salt and Black Pepper for taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Coat baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water for 15 minutes or until very tender
- Drain water, transfer to mixing bowl
- Add milk and melted butter and mix together
- Mix in the Mozzarella cheese and 3/4 Parmesan Cheese
- Season with salt & pepper
- Pour mashed pototatoes into greased baking dish
- Mix bread crumbs and remaining Parmesan Cheese together, add to top of mashed potatoes
- Bake, uncovered in oven for 20 minutes
- Serve hot
This is one of my favorite recipes from Giada. She always has great recipes. I used Italian bread crumbs but you can use plain bread crumbs too. You can also make this ahead of time and before you put it in the oven, cover and refrigerate.