There is something so easy and delightful about a Summer Macaroni Salad! Don’t get me wrong, this almost perfect side dish can be enjoyed any time of year but it’s best served with something off the grill.
But what makes this recipe so special to me is that it was my grandmothers. She made this Summer Macaroni Salad all the time and it was perfect with hamburgers and hotdogs.
This salad is also perfect by itself. It has just the right amount of mayo and veggies for a wonderful dish.
But you don’t have to just add what this recipe calls for. There are so many variations to this recipe. Maybe add a little celery or onions. It lends itself to all possibilities.
Follow instructions on cooking your 12-ounce package of large elbow pasta. Remember to add olive oil and salt to your water — this will keep the pasta from sticking. When it’s finished, rinse in cold water immediately to stop the pasta from cooking. You don’t want the macaroni hot because the mayo will melt and you will have a mess. You want the mayo to be thick.
Mix the mayo, the tomatoes, and green peppers until it coats all of the macaroni. Add fresh ground pepper for taste. Some people add paprika to the top for decoration and others add tuna fish for a complete meal. We kept it simple.
Cover and put in the refrigerator to cool. Serve with your favorite summer food! It’s yummy!
Summer Macaroni Salad!
- 12 ounce package of Large Elbow Macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise
- 1 large Green Pepper chopped
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes chopped
- Fresh Black Pepper
- Salt and Olive Oil for the pasta boil
- Chop green peppers and tomatoes
- Cook macaroni until it's completely cooked, make sure you add olive oil and salt to water so the pasta doesn't stick
- Rinse in cold water immediately to stop the cooking
- Put cooled off pasta in mixing bowl
- Add mayonnaise, mix until pasta is coated
- Add green peppers and tomatoes, mix
- Top with freshly ground black pepper for taste
- Put in refrigerator to cool
This is a great compliment to your summer BBQ. It goes with everything or by itself. You can even make it ahead of time and keep in the fridge. Enjoy!