I’m definitely one of those people who can’t get enough of queso, especially a really nice and spicy bowl of it. The only downside is you can really get in trouble eating too much of it! That is particularly true for this Three Cheese Queso. The upside to this recipe is that the portion is definitely manageable for any diet (or lack there of).
In fact, because this queso comes with a healthy serving of pico, you could say it’s pretty healthy for you! At least that is what I tell myself;)
For this Three Cheese Queso, I used White American cheese, Mozzarella Cheese and Monterrey Jack cheese.
The key to this queso is in the whisk! You will need to be constantly whisking the cheese so it is completely smooth. If not, it will thicken up which is not all bad. I really like my queso thick so for me it’s perfect!
I love serving this queso in a small cast iron skillet. I think it’s the perfect way to serve this dish. You can also put the queso in the oven so the top browns ever so slightly. For this, broil it for a few minutes.
A homemade or prepared pico de gallo is perfect as a topping to this queso. It adds just the right about of spice to this very smooth cheese.
This is a very thick version of queso — you can make it creamier to more American cheese and less Mozzarella cheese. Enjoy!
Three Cheese Queso
Yield 4 People
You won't find an easier recipe for queso! This Three Cheese Queso combines my favorite cheeses with a little spice! You'll love it!
- 1/2 lb. White American Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Half & Half
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Pico de Gallo
- In a saucepan, heat the half & half until is simmer, then reduce the heat and immediately start stirring in the white
- Reduce the heat and immediately start adding the White American cheese in small increments while whisking constantly
- Then add the Mozzarella and Monterrey jack cheese in small increments while whisking constantly
- Once the cheese is melted, add chili powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
- Pour into serving dish and add a healthy scoop of Pico de Gallo on top
- Serve immediately