These days, it’s so easy to make popcorn! Just stick the bag in the microwave and set the timer. But lately, I have been wanting to experiment with popcorn and test out new flavors. That is where this Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn began. I love anything with cinnamon sugar so why not try it on popcorn!
When I was growing up there was really only one way to make popcorn, ok two but we didn’t have one of those fancy popcorn makers until I was older. We always made the popcorn in a pot on the stove. As a kid, I loved when the popcorn outgrew the pot and popped off the lid. We added melted butter and salt and we were done. Now there are so many flavors to choose from!
My husband still makes popcorn on the stove and then adds tons of butter. For this recipe, I decided to still microwave it but I used plain kernels and a brown paper bag to make it. This avoids the oil you need to make it on the stove.
About 1/3 cup of popcorn fills the bag after about 1 minute 20 seconds.
The seasoning is simple…brown sugar and cinnamon.
And 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter melted!
Once the ingredients are combined, you simply pour it over the popcorn. The brown bag makes about 8 cups of popcorn and that is perfect for this recipe. You will still need to mix it up.
Add some salt and you are set. This recipe doesn’t give you a heavy, sugary taste. The taste is very subtle but extremely yummy! It’s not as decadent as chocolate popcorn but you will love these flavors!
- 1/3 cup plain Popcorn Kernels
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- In a brown paper bag, cook the popcorn on high in the microwave for about 1 minute 20 seconds or until the popping stops (this equals about 8 cups)
- In a small pan, melt the butter
- In a mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter
- Pour popcorn into a bowl and add the cinnamon mixture on top, mix
- Add salt to the top to season the popcorn further