I think I have found a new love — dessert in a jar! Everything I think about making, I first say “will this fit in a jar”? And if the answer is yes, I go for it. That’s what happened with this Chocolate Chip Cheesecake recipe. It was made for a mason jar.
This recipe was actually featured on Family Food Live with Holly & Chris, a new Facebook Live show I am doing every Wednesday and Friday at 12 Noon CST on my Facebook page. It’s so much fun — I hope you will check it out!
I started this recipe with my favorite chocolate chip cookies. To build the foundation or crust for my dessert, I ground 12 cookies with 2 tablespoons of butter in my food processor.
This goes directly into the bottom of the jar. I used 2 tablespoons of cookie crust for each jar. Make sure you flatten it on the bottom of the jar so it binds together for your crust.
Next, I made the filling! I combined the cream cheese, brown sugar, vanilla extract, heavy cream and mini chocolate chips in a large bowl. I used a hand mixer instead of a stand mixer just because it’s easier.
I enjoy using my Kitchenaid stand mixer but only when Im making huge quantities of cookies or something else. The hand mixer is better for something in a pinch or a smaller project.
The cheesecake mixture then goes into a plastic bag. I like to use a bag like this to fill the jars. It makes it much easier and cleaner. I hate when my jars look messy and this keeps it really clean.
The cheesecake is the middle layer of this dessert. Fill it up as high as you want for this dessert.
The rest is filled with whipped cream. I also added a few chocolate chips to the top and some of the cookie crumble I made for the crust. It’s a wonderful dessert for a dinner party.
You can make the cheesecake filling ahead of time and keep it refrigerated until you are ready to serve. You can even fill the jars and refrigerate until you are ready. Just hold off on putting the whipped cream on top until you serve.
- 12 Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 packages Cream Cheese (8 oz), softened
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Whipped Cream
- In a food processor, blend the cookies and butter for the crust
- Put 2 tablespoons of crust in bottom of medium size mason jar
- Press mixture until flattened
- In a mixing bowl, add cream cheese and flatten with fork first
- Add brown sugar and mix using a hand mixer
- Add vanilla extract and heavy cream and mix together again with mixer
- Fold in mini chocolate chips
- Fill mixture in a plastic bag and cut the corner
- Add evenly to each jar
- Top with whipped cream, and sprinkle leftover chocolate chips and cookie crust on top
You can use smaller jars and make about 6 desserts. It's a wonderful summer dessert for your dinner party.