There are a lot of great marriages in the dessert world — but nothing compares to chocolate and peanut butter together. These two flavors pair perfectly to make these Peanut Butter Cups!
I added one secret ingredient that gives it a more sophisticated flavor….sea salt!
I am such a fan of sea salt and chocolate. Whereas butter makes everything taste better, I think sea salt makes chocolate taste better.
This recipe has only a few ingredients but it’s the process that makes it take a while. Trust me, it’s worth it.
Start by melting half of the chocolate chips together with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. Make sure you are using a creamy peanut butter. I found a great one at Costco. This peanut butter is organic and very creamy.
I also used this peanut butter to make my Peanut Butter Balls with Chocolate Chips.
Using lined cupcake tins, I poured a little chocolate in the bottom to create a base for the peanut butter cups.
Then I put it in the fridge for 30 minutes to let the chocolate harden.
While that is hardening, I mixed together the softened butter, 1 1/2 cups peanut butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. This was really easy combining because the butter helped soften the peanut butter.
I poured the peanut butter on top of the hardened chocolate. This is the middle layer of the Peanut Butter Cups. Again I put this in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to harden.
The next step was a repeat of the first. I needed more chocolate and peanut butter for the top layer.
The next step was to pour that final layer of chocolate over the top.
Before it goes back in the fridge, I added a pinch of sea salt to the top. This will give it the perfect combination of sweet and salty.
This final step takes a bit longer. Keep it in the fridge for at least 2 hours. I kept mine in overnight and it was perfect.
I love these for dessert or a dinner party. It’s the perfect dessert size for everyone.
- 3 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/2 Cups Creamy Peanut Butter
- 4 tablespoons Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 stick Butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- Sea Salt
- Line 12 cup cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- In small saucepan, heat up 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter over low heat
- Evenly pour chocolate/peanut butter mixture into cupcake liners
- Cover and put in fridge for 30 minutes
- In a mixing bowl, combine softened butter, 1 1/2 cups peanut butter, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and 1 cup of powdered sugar until smooth
- Pour evenly on top of the chilled chocolate
- Cover and put back in the fridge for another 30 minutes
- In the saucepan, heat up 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- Pour on top of the chilled peanut butter
- Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt on top of the chocolate/peanut butter mixture of the cupcake
- Cover and put back in fridge for at least 2 hours
- Serve cold and keep refrigerated
This recipe is adapted from one I found on Halfbaked Harvest -- its perfect for a party or after dinner.