As a busy, working mom I try to make dinner as easy as possible! And when I can find a meal that uses only one pan — I’m in!!
I have been experimenting with one-pot meals lately and am learning a lot about how it all works. The key is to make sure you have a pan big enough to hold all of that good stuff:)
This One Pan Tomato Basil Pasta was actually inspired by the Queen herself, Martha Stewart! I have seen this recipe circulating around the blogosphere, some even calling it genius, and I had to try it!
And it is super easy!
There are so many ingredients you can use to make this pasta. I stayed pretty true to the recipe with a few adjustments.
It calls for linguine, tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil, olive oil, red pepper flakes and salt & pepper. Put it all in the pan, uncooked –that is the key.
Everything, including the pasta, cooks at the same time. So you will lay down the uncooked pasta in the pan with all the other ingredients.
Once all of your ingredients are in the pan, you will add about 4 cups of water — that’s it!
Put it on the stove and let it boil. Once it boils, it will take 9-12 minutes to cook.
You will know it’s done when the water is completely absorbed into the pasta.
Notes: You need to make sure the pasta doesn’t stick together so you will move it around periodically. But be careful not to disrupt the tomatoes. I would have liked to see my tomatoes be a little more intact. I actually thought about cutting up some extra tomatoes and adding it to the dish when it’s complete so I have some crunch to the pasta.
Serve your pasta with a little red wine and a salad.
That’s it!!! Enjoy:)
- 2 cups Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half length-wise
- 2 cups Onion, sliced (about 1 medium onion)
- 4 cloves Garlic, sliced
- 12 ounces Linguine
- 2 sprigs Basil, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 cups Water
- Salt & Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated
- In a large saucepan, put in the uncooked linguine, tomatoes, basil, onion, garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 2 teaspoons salt and 4 cups water
- Bring to a boil and let cook for 9-12 minutes until the water has evaporated and soaked into the pasta, make sure you move around the pasta a bit so it doesn't stick together
- Remove from the stove and add grated parmesan cheese and cut up basil for garnish
This is adapted from a recipe first created by the amazing Martha Stewart (so you know it has to be good)