There is nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter day! Actually soup is the perfect meal all year! It’s like having a warm hug or wrapping yourself in a warm blanket.
It never fails when I’m sick, all I want is chicken noodle soup. But this Homemade Tomato Soup recipe may become my new favorite.
There are so many great ways to use this super food. Tomatoes should be part of your every day — especially if you have this soup on the menu.
I love the flavor of this roasted tomato soup. It has a little heat to it but still maintains it’s creamy texture.
I used about 15 Roma tomatoes for this recipe. You can also use Plum tomatoes but those are hard to find this time of year.
This recipe starts with roasting your tomatoes in the oven.
You will cut the tomatoes in half and clean out the insides. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and gooey stuff (very technical term).
Place the tomatoes on their back and drizzle with about a 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of sugar. You will also scatter the fresh thyme over the tomatoes.
Put in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour.
It’s done when the tomatoes look like this. The skins will be wrinkled and a little roasted.
Get rid of the thyme and peel off the skin of the tomatoes. Keep the inside but toss the skin. Put what’s left of the tomato into a separate bowl.
In the meantime, brown your onions in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Once these start to brown, add your garlic for about a minute.
Add the tomatoes, 3 cups of vegetable stock and a bay leaf.
This will simmer on the stove for about 30 minutes. You don’t want to cover this all the way– just a partial cover.
Reduce the heat to low and add the cream and chopped basil and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Remove the bay leaf and use one of these … an immersion blender. These are a must if you plan on making a lot of soup recipes like this one.
Once it’s all mixed up, add more salt and pepper and enjoy!
I love my soup with bread or a grilled cheese sandwich! However you enjoy soup — it’s the best comfort food EVER!
However you enjoy soup — it’s the best comfort food EVER!
- 15 Roma Tomatoes, cut in half with seeds removed
- Olive Oil (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock
- 6 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Basil, chopped
- Kosher Salt and freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut Tomatoes in half and scoop out the seeds
- Put Tomatoes face up on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Drizzle 1/4 cup of Olive Oil over the top of the Tomatoes
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon Salt, 1/4 teaspoon Pepper, 1/4 teaspoon Sugar and scatter Thyme over the top
- Roast Tomatoes for 1 hour or until the skin starts to wrinkle
- Let cool and remove the skin from the Tomatoes and discard, place the rest of the Tomato into a bowl
- Discard the Thyme
- In a dutch oven, heat up 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Add Onions and a pinch of salt and cook until lightly brown (about 5 minutes)
- Add the Garlic and cook for another minute more
- Add the Tomatoes, Vegetable Stock and Bay Leaf and simmer for 30 minutes partially covered
- Reduce the heat and add the Cream and chopped Basil and heat up for another 5 minutes
- Remove the Bay Leaf and puree with the immersion blender until smooth
- Add a pinch of Salt and freshly Ground Pepper
This was adapted from a recipe created by Dinner with Tiffani. She used Plum tomatoes, so either will work.
(this post contains affiliate links)