I have always wanted to have a great banana bread recipe. My desire started after producing a cooking segment on Good Morning Texas with William Koval from the French Room in Dallas. He made the best banana bread I ever had.
Unfortunately I never made that recipe (and now I can’t find it), but I did find this Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips recipe that is to die for!
It offers the perfect combination of bananas and chocolate. It’s also a good excuse to have chocolate for breakfast.
This was also the first time I used parchment paper to bake under my bread. I would usually spray the bottom of my pan and pray that it didn’t stick. I have to say I learned something valuable with this recipe — always use parchment paper! It’s so easy.
There is no banana bread without the bananas!
I used two very ripe bananas and mashed them up with a fork. It’s always so frustrating when you have to throw away bananas that turn black on the outside. It’s a nice excuse to use these up and not throw away good food.
Of course the secret ingredient in this recipe is chocolate — dark chocolate chips to be exact.
I have really come to love dark chocolate. It definitely takes time to make the change from milk chocolate to dark chocolate. But I love the sophisticated flavor of the dark chocolate better than milk — and it’s healthier for you.
You will first mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls.
I like separating the two. When you have a lot of ingredients, it’s helpful in remembering what you actually put into the recipe.
The wet and dry ingredients are what you would expect. Eggs, milk, vanilla extract, bananas, and oil.
After mixing the two separately — you will combine both mixing bowls. Pour into your pan with the parchment paper.
And your Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips will look like this when it’s done!
- 2 medium Bananas, ripe & mashed
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Canola Oil
- 1/4 cup Milk (I used 2%)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place piece of parchment paper in your 9x5 baking pan, make sure it goes up the side (check my photo)
- Combine the dry ingredients including flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ground nutmeg and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the bananas, eggs, oil, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients to banana mixture and mix
- Then fold in the chocolate chips
- Pour the mixture into the pan
- Bake for 60 minutes or until the toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes and remove from pan
You can also add chopped nuts to this recipe to vary it a bit. If you don't like the chocolate chips, leave them out -- it won't change the recipe at all.