Ever since I met my husband he has wanted me to learn how to make one of his favorite dishes ….. Ham & Bean Soup! This is a recipe that reminds him of home so how could I resist. I actually learned from the source, his mom!
It’s a great cold weather recipe and can be put in the freezer for anytime.
The most important thing you need to do is soak the navy beans overnight. This cuts down the time of the recipe and softens the beans a lot faster. You can use beans from a can but this is better for the taste of the recipe. Make sure the beans are completely covered in the water while they are soaking.
You will start by cutting up the ham, celery and a white onion. We used ham that was left over from a holiday dinner. Ham will freeze for a long time so if you are having ham this holiday season, make sure you freeze the leftovers so you can use it later. We also made ham stock from the leftovers but if you don’t have ham stock you will use vegetable stock.
*Do not use deli ham or glazed ham. You will want to stick with ham steak or a full ham.
In a large pot, you will add the stock, ham, onion and celery. Cook on high heat until the mixture boils. It takes about five minutes. While you are waiting for the boil, drain the beans and take out the brown ones. You will then add the beans to the boiling stock.
Go to a low heat and cover the pan. You can add water (2-3 cups) if it’s not soupy enough for you. Cook for 1 hour until the beans are soft.
And you have your soup!
Add some parsley and additional onions and you are ready to eat. Serve hot.
We like to put the soup into one serving size bowl. You can put this in the fridge or freezer and eat anytime. It won’t last forever in the fridge so if you won’t eat it within a week, put it in the freezer. It’s perfect for anytime you are looking for a warm up!
My husband usually eats his soup with a grilled cheese sandwich or slice of bread!
- 2 - 16 ounce bags of Navy Beans
- 4 stalks of Celery
- 2 large White Onions
- 2 pounds Ham, cubed (use full ham or ham steak)
- 2 packages of Vegetable Stock (2 pounds each)
- Salt & Pepper
- Parsley, chopped for top of soup
- Soak the Navy Beans in bowl of water overnight. Beans need to be fully submerged in water.
- Chop or dice Celery and White Onion (whatever you like better)
- Cube Ham
- In a large pot cook ham, celery, onions and stock until it comes to a boil (about 5 minutes)
- Drain the Navy Beans and take out the brown beans
- Add the beans to the pot and keep on high until it boils
- Go to low heat and cover. You can add 2-3 cups of water if you like you soup more watery
- Cook for 1 hour until the beans are soft
- Add minced Onions and Parsley to the top for added flavor
- Serve hot
*The prep time does not include soaking the Navy Beans overnight.
Serve with a sandwich or some bread. Perfect for lunch or dinner!