I’m such a fan of chicken lettuce wraps — especially the ones you find at your favorite Chinese Restaurant! So I wanted to try and duplicate these delish chicken lettuce wraps at home. It may not be the exact recipe but it’s very close and it was really easy! I really think the key to this recipe is the Bibb lettuce used for the wrap part of this recipe. Bibb lettuce is so soft and smooth — it’ a must for a recipe like this one.
There is a little bit of prep before you start cooking. First you will start by soaking your chicken in a marinade of egg white and cornstarch. This keeps the chicken from sticking to the pan when you get ready to cook it. Then take the pine nuts and slightly toast them in a pan or in the oven. Then you will put the chicken in a non-stick pan for about 3-5 minutes until the chicken has browned.
When the chicken is cooked, add the celery, water chestnuts, and garlic to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. This will cook for about 2 minutes until the celery is soft.
You will then add the scallions, toasted pine nuts, lime juice, soy sauce and brown sugar. This cooks for another minute.
When it’s done pour the chicken mixture into a bowl so it’s ready to serve.
Wash and separate the Bibb lettuce into cups for the chicken and you have your chicken lettuce wrap! This is perfect by itself as your complete meal!
- 4 medium-sized Chicken breasts - cut up into bit size pieces
- 1 Egg white
- 1 tablespoon Corn Starch
- 2 ribs of Celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup Water Chestnuts, chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 2 Scallions, whites of scallions only, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts, toasted
- 1/2 Lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt & Pepper
- Bibb Lettuce
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg white and corn starch. Add the cut up chicken into the mixture until its well coated
- Toast the pine nuts in a non-stick pan or in the oven until slightly brown
- In non-stick saute pan, heat up olive oil over medium heat
- Add coated chicken and stir until it has browned, about 3-5 minutes
- Add garlic, celery and water chestnuts to pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper for taste
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes until celery is soft
- Add the scallions, pine nuts, lime juice, soy sauce, and brown sugar - cook for another minute
- Remove from pan and place in serving bowl
- Wash and separate bibb lettuce so you have individual serving cups of lettuce
- Spoon out chicken mixture into lettuce
- Serve warm
This recipe was adapted from a recipe I found online. It's the perfect warm summer night recipe for the entire family. You can also serve it with brown rice for a rice dish.