When I look for comfort food for dinner one meal I always reach for is roast chicken and mashed potatoes. It’s warm, smooth and makes everything seem better right? So here’s a take on one of my favorite comfort food meals and it’s only 3 ingredients. This Chicken Potato Casserole is not the prettiest dish, but it’s really flavorful and is so easy. And it combines the best comfort foods — chicken, potatoes and soup!
Start with your favorite roasted chicken. You can buy this at the grocery store and it’s already seasoned so you don’t need any seasonings. You’ll also need 1 large potato cut into thin slices. Plus 2, 10 ounce cans of Cream of Chicken Condensed soup.
First pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a square baking dish with a cooking spray. You will then need to cut up the chicken from the cooked roasted chicken. Cut it into squares. Heat up the 2 cans of soup over medium heat until warmed. Then add the cut up chicken.
Then add the potatoes in rows like this. You will need to cut the potatoes pretty thin so the cooking time is cut down. Thicker potatoes will take longer to cook. One thing I learned in this process is to NOT include the skin from the chicken. It takes away from the flavor of the dish. You will want to put a little cracked pepper over the top and bake for 25-30 minutes until the potatoes are browned and finished cooking.
And here you have a nice warm 3-ingredient meal that has become one of our new favorite comfort dinners. Add some veggies, french bread or even a salad and you have a nice meal for the family. If you prefer mashed potatoes, you can always follow your favorite mashed potato recipe and skip the baking of this dish. The chicken and the soup is still a very yummy meal.
- 1 Roasted Chicken, chopped into squares
- 1 large Potato
- 2 cans Cream of Chicken condensed soup (10 ounce)
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray baking dish with cooking spray
- Remove all meat from cooked roasted chicken and cut into squares
- Discard the skin
- Wash potato and slice into thin slices
- Over a medium heat, warm up the 2 cans of condensed Cream of Chicken soup
- Then add all of the cut up chicken
- Mix well and wait for it to boil
- Pour the chicken and soup mixture into baking dish
- Add the potato slices on top, overlapping just a little
- Sprinkle with cracked black pepper
- Cook in oven for 25-30 minutes until potatoes are cooked and browned
- Serve hot
There are many variations to this dish. Why not mash your potatoes and put on the top and brown in the oven. Or even put a little bread crumb mixture on top for a beautiful crunch. Serve with veggies, break or a salad.