I have a confession to make! I am addicted to something very sweet and expensive. And worst of all, I introduced my kids to this treat! And now we can’t go a week without a taste! I’m talking about Starbucks Pumpkin Bread. We eat this way more than we should! But it’s so delicious we can’t help ourselves. So I am getting in the Pumpkin Bread spirit today with my own take on the Starbucks treat. And this one has a twist! The secret to this recipe is the cream cheese. And keep in mind you will need several big mixing bowls to keep many of these ingredients separated until it’s time to bake. The first bowl is filled with sugar, cream cheese, sour cream and ginger.
Your third bowl will be the pumpkin mixture. This is simply eggs, sugar, oil, water and a can of pumpkin. Once you mix this together with the electric mixer, you will slowly add the flour mixture to add thickness to the bread mixture.
Then carefully add spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture. Use half of the mixture in each of the loaf pans. You may decide you don’t want too much cream cheese so you can add a little less. This will create a layer of cream cheese for taste. Then add the remaining pumpkin mixture evenly over both pans until the cream cheese is covered up.
You will cook the bread for 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Depending on your oven, this could take more than 60 minutes. You will let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then take out of the pan and cool completely on a wire rack. The key to this recipe is cooling off the bread. You do not want to serve warm. So wrap in foil and put in the refrigerator overnight to cool.
- 8 ounce package Cream Cheese
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 8 ounces Sour Cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Ground Ginger
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 15 ounce can Pumpkin
- 1 cup Cooking Oil
- 1/3 cup Water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease 2 9x5x3-inch loaf pans, set aside
- In medium bowl, mix the cream cheese and 1/4 cup of sugar with electric mixer. Make sure your cream cheese is soft. Then add the sour cream, 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of Ginger, mix completely and set aside.
- In another bowl, hand mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, remaining ginger, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups sugar, 4 eggs, can of pumpkin, oil and water. Beat with electric mixer then start adding flour mixture gradually as you continue to mix with mixer.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of the pumpkin mixture to loaf pans.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture on top of the first layer of pumpkin. Make sure the cream cheese is spread out.
- Evenly add the remaining pumpkin mixture to the top of the cream cheese.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes on wire rack.
- Remove from pan and continue to cool on wire rack.
- Wrap with foil and store in the refrigerator overnight before slicing
This recipe was adapted from one I found on bhg.com. There are many variations of this recipe. If you decide you don't want the cream cheese, simply make the pumpkin bread without it. Watch the time because it may not take as long to cook. You can also add crushed pumpkin seeds on top to make it more like the Starbucks Pumpkin bread.